Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Finally Finished!!!!! Vogue #1484-Pattern Review

Vogue 1484 & Spiegel 60609 Reviews!!!



Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes it did.  I did not use velvet or mesh/lace fabrics for contrast.  I used a heavy 100% cotton fabric from a collection with contrasting prints but the same color schemes.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Somewhat until you get to the collar, I drafted a neck facing instead of following the pattern instructions. It was much more easier this way. 

Fabric Used?
100% Cotton Heavy Weight.  I love the color scheme and the prints of this fabric. The lining fabric is a simply silky solid from Joann. I purchased this fabric from Hancock Fabrics (GOOB-Boo Hiss!!!). I have enough left over of each to make a skirt, shorts, crop top or jacket for Summer. 

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I just changed the collar by adding a collar facing and added horse hair braid to the hem to give it a little extra added flare. I did not stitch down the lining to the dress I wanted it to move freely underneath the dress.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes I would recommend this pattern to/for the more intermediate/advanced sewists.

Conclusion:
I like the pattern but probably won't sew it again.  I will probably use a different pattern that is similar if I want this look again.


Sewing Machine: Spiegel 60609
I loved using my new Spiegel 60609 to sew the project above (see review Vogue 1484).  For $300.00 you get a lot of bang-4-your buck! The machine is pretty user friendly but there are a few things that I would change on the machine.  It has been getting great reviews and I heard by November 2016, there will be an updated model out for sale.  I wonder if they will name it Spiegel 60610?  I can't wait to see.  I love gadgets, especially my sewing machines.  Once I start teaching sewing classes, this will be at the top of my list for machine recommendations!  I wish I could get my hands on at least 3 or 4 of these to begin teaching.

Likes: 
User friendly, creates beautiful, even stitches and there are an over-abundance of them (350 built-in). The stitch cam is really cool!  I attached my Samsung 10.1 Tablet and My iPad 2 as well.  It was a little tricky at first but I finally got them both connected. This would be a great machine for beginners who wish to work their way to the intermediate level sewist.  I have already gotten my other projects lined up for May #MeSewMe and I will be using my Spiegel!  If you are the proud owner of the Spiegel, you can join the FaceBook group. 

Dislikes:
The biggest thing I had a problem with is when the needle down button is pushed the needle does NOT stay in the down position once you begin sewing and then stop to turn a corner etc., you have to push the needle down button again.  I hope on the updated model coming in November 2016, this will change.  The speed is a little slow for me at only 900 SPM.  I got used to using my Singer S90 Limited Edition that sews 1300 SPM.  I like to go 'n' sew like speed racer! The zipper foot only has a groove to one side of the foot.  I used my universal invisible zipper foot as the dress (see above) required an invisible zip.  There were not to many things I did not like about the machine. 

Where to Purchase:
Cost $296.00 just shy of $300.00
Offers protection plans for machine.

Offers flexi-pay payments
4 easy payments of $100.00
This is a great option for those who do 
not have the $300.00 up front/all-at-once!

Spiegel 60609 Information:



No comments:

Post a Comment